Sunday, May 13, 2018

Food 2.0 and the Romaine Riddle


    This illustration is inspired by an article called Food 2.0 in Costco Connection magazine. What I'm aiming to communicate here is the transference of harvested produce into data. When I saw the magazine at a family member's house the article that drew me in explained all the modern ways that farmers are using technology to increase efficiency. For example, tractors that harvest data at the same as they harvest crops. It was really enjoyable seeing how Costco's magazine elaborates on the behind the scenes aspects of their food sourcing.

     

  

     Another illustration I started on this week is based on an article from The New York Times called: Romaine Riddle: Why the E. coli Outbreak Eludes Food Investigators. The article is about the current E. Coli outbreak affecting many parts of the country including New Jersey and California. Although the origin is speculated to be Arizona, it is difficult to be sure. To interpret the story I am imagining a head of romaine lettuce in an outlaw narrative. The sketches here are a few of my early ideas. I'll be developing this piece over the next few weeks so check back to see how it comes out! 

No comments:

Post a Comment